Back in April of 1995—just as the Internet was being adopted worldwide—the first release of “RealAudio Player” hit the market. It was one of the first generation of media players for the standard consumer. It ushered in the act of comfortably playing streaming content over the Internet on your PC.
Streaming video content over the Internet was revolutionary back then. Remember, we started this 10 years before YouTube even launched. This was a time of .wav files and slow 36K modems—not a good combo when you want seamless streaming. RealNetworks solved that problem with their apps, and voilá—live Internet broadcast was born. RealPlayer gained so much traction that it became a selectable tool in Microsoft Windows 98, just three years after its launch.
Constant Evolution – Adding More Features to Meet Customer Needs
Since its inception, there have been multiple incarnations of RealPlayer. Each successive release improved upon its intuitive, user-friendly operation, and increased its versatility, allowing it to support a wide range of multimedia files. Previous versions were known as RealAudio, RealOne Player, RealPlayer G2, and RealCloud. In May 2015, we introduced RealTimes, a mobile app that lets you create vignettes set to music from your photos. Within the app you can also edit, add effects, create Memes, and frame photos. This can be done both in the mobile app and on a PC or Mac. Once you’ve created a RealTimes Story you like, you can share it with friends and family and access them in your RealPlayer library. The newest iteration carries the name RealPlayer 18, and include all the features and codecs of previous versions with new enhancements to keep up with the latest technologies.
One of the most exciting enhancements in RealPlayer 18 is the ability to play videos any time, anywhere. With RealPlayer, you can play videos on other mobile devices, in a RealPlayer media center on your PC or Mac, even on Roku and Xbox One. All you have to do is sync your device (or devices) to your account. When it comes to storage of your media, you have two options: local storage on your device or RealPlayer Cloud. RealPlayer makes storage easy by providing free Cloud space with every account to help get you started using RealPlayer Cloud.
Key RealPlayer features:
- Compatibility with all sorts of video formats (m4v, mp3, 3gp, avi, rv, mp4, wav)
- Innovative Video PlayPack with MPEG-4, DivX 5, DivX 4 and MKV file support with automatic updates (included with the premium version)
- RealDownloader lets you download videos you want from thousands of websites, and watch them later in your RealPlayer library
- Create Playlists to organize your videos in your RealPlayer library
- Built-in video-to-MP3 converter lets you extract audio from your videos
- Web Videos option let you see the most popular videos on the Web classified by RealPlayer Video Channels
- Search engine makes finding videos online easy
- Built-in CD recorder is ideal for burning your own CD of music located in your Library
- Built-in video editor and sharing option lets you make fast video edits and show your videos on social networking sites
- Extract images, trim video frames, and save them on your PC as wallpaper
A Gifted Performer – Watch and Share Videos Virtually Anywhere
Along with watching videos whenever and wherever, there are even more exciting possibilities for your media entertainment with RealPlayer. You can use the app to play, convert, and edit video, manage your media on local storage or cloud storage, and burn CD’s and DVDs. With RealTimes you can easily create video stories from your own content to share with friends, for free, through e-mail and social media options like Facebook and Twitter.
Frequent updates and new functions make it one of the most reliable, versatile, and user-friendly media players on the market. As each of these innovations is developed, one thing that remains a priority is your privacy and security.
RealPlayer stands out historically as one of the most popular apps on the market. We’ve continuously made improvements in delivery quality and product features, and we’ve made it compatible across a wide variety of devices through innovations like RealPlayer Cloud and RealTimes to create an engaging and exciting experience. These innovations are how RealPlayer stays on the cutting edge more than 20 years after its introduction.