Add to your list of issues with the new Windows 8 operating system the curious fact that it does not come with DVD playback software. So how do you play a DVD on Windows 8? Sure, there may be a DVD drive built into the side of your new or upgraded Windows 8 machine – but when you pop a DVD into that drive, you might only get a whirring sound for about 45 seconds. Unless your computer’s manufacturer installed DVD software on your machine (some Dell laptops come pre-installed with CyberLink PowerDVD, for instance), you need to get yourself a Windows 8 compatible DVD player. You don’t need to run out and find this in a store, you just need to do a DVD player download online.
The good news is that there are plenty of DVD player downloads available online. Microsoft says they removed the DVD playback functionality because no one watches DVDs anymore; these days we stream movies online. Additionally, Microsoft wanted Windows 8’s design to be consistent across Windows 8 phones and Surface tablets. Another reason for killing off DVD playback, though, is that producing DVD decoding software requires paying royalties. Plenty of software manufacturers do pay this royalty, though.
WHERE TO FIND A DVD PLAYER DOWNLOAD
|Get A DVD Player For Windows 8
In addition to watching DVDs on a Windows 8 computer, you can also use RealPlayer Plus to burn DVDs of your favorite videos. Get it now at a discounted price.
We don’t mind mentioning that RealPlayer Plus, the premium version of RealPlayer comes with DVD playback capabilities. Once you download RealPlayer Plus, you’ll be able to play DVDs on your laptop or computer – along with a couple other fringe benefit features thrown in as well. In addition to watching DVDs you can also burn DVDs, convert videos to different formats such as converting WMV to MP4 and a whole lot more.
HOW TO USE REALPLAYER PLUS AS A WINDOWS 8 COMPATIBLE DVD PLAYER
Once you’ve downloaded RealPlayer Plus, you can play a DVD by doing the following:
- Open RealPlayer Plus
- Insert the DVD into your DVD drive.
- Click the Library tab at the center top of your screen. The Library screen will appear.
- Click the CD / DVD button on the left pane. The DVD track screen will appear.
- Click on the DVD chapter you wish to watch. If there is only one chapter listed, click on 1. DVD inserted to begin DVD playback.
- Enjoy watching your DVDs, those things that supposedly no one watches anymore!
Should you prefer the old school File menu way of doing things, you have that option, as well. You can play a DVD using RealPlayer Plus with the File menu by doing the following:
- Click the RealPlayer Plus icon in the top left. A File menu will appear.
- Select File. Another menu list will appear to the right.
- Select Open from the new menu list. The Open dialog box will appear.
- Press the Browse button. Your file library will appear.
- Next to Look In: select your DVD drive.
- Select the chapter you want to watch, and enjoy the show.
Boom! Your Windows 8 compatible DVD player problems are solved.
What’s on your list of grievances with Windows 8? Did your Windows 8 PC come with DVD playing software, and if so which machine do you have? Don’t pause to leave your opinions in the comments section below.