There are endless possibilities of what you can watch online. It’s easy to spend hours watching series, funny videos, how to segments, and more. If you’re looking for something a bit more artful then Vimeo might be the online video site for you. All the videos on the site are streaming in HD quality and created by art-minded community members.
Vimeo has carved out niche that’s a bit reminiscent of independent theaters. Unlike YouTube with its plethora of funny cat videos, the content you’ll find on Vimeo is a bit more sophisticated. The site has cultivated a community of budding filmmakers who want to share their videos, short documentaries, talks, and animations with the world. You’ll even find Sundance Film Festival Selections on Vimeo. Some of the films are so good you may want to see them again or maybe you want to download Vimeo videos to watch on a long plane ride. The good news is you can safely and easily download videos to your PC with an app like RealPlayer with RealPlayer Downloader.
While you can’t download Vimeo videos that are available for purchase or rental in the On Demand section of the site, you can download videos that are free to watch. You don’t have to an account to watch videos, however, if you have a Plus or PRO Vimeo account you’ll be able to download the source files when available. You’ll need to do that using the Vimeo video downloader tools. We should note there may be some occasions where you can’t download a Vimeo video and that’s because the creator has chosen to disable that feature. Don’t worry your RealPlayer Downloader tool isn’t having issues.
How to Download Video from Vimeo’s Homepage with RealPlayer Downloader
When you first arrive on the Vimeo site, you’ll see some featured videos that are typically Staff Picks. You can start watching one of those videos. See one you like and want to add to it to your RealPlayer library? It’s easy to do once you install RealPlayer on your PC. Click here to start the download from Real.com. The RealPlayer Downloader works with multiple web browsers including Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox. Once that’s done, here’s how to download Vimeo videos in just a couple of clicks.
- Click on a video on the Vimeo Homepage and press play.
- As the video plays, click on the blue RealPlayer icon that appears in the top center of the browser window. A thumbnail of the video will appear with a Download This Video button. Click the Download This Video button.
- You’ll see the progress of the video download in the RealPlayer Downloader window.
- The video will appear in your RealPlayer Library.
How to Download Vimeo Videos from a Channel
Similar to YouTube and other online video sites, Vimeo has Channels. These are collections of videos created by Vimeo Plus community members to highlight a selection of videos. Once a Channel is created anyone with a Vimeo account can view or follow it. See a video you like on one of your favorite Channels that you want to download? No problem, here’s how to download Vimeo videos from a Channel using RealPlayer Downloader.
- Click on the video you want to download in a Channel.
- While you watch the video the blue RealPlayer icon will appear in the top center of the browser window. A thumbnail of the video will appear with a Download This Video button. Click the Download This Video button.
- Track the progress of the Vimeo video download in the RealPlayer Downloader window.
- Once complete, you can find the downloaded Vimeo video in your RealPlayer Library.
4 Steps to Download Video from Vimeo Thumbnails
In addition to Channels, there are also Vimeo Categories that can be used to navigate the site. Categories are groups of like items such as animation, food, sports, travel, comedy, and documentary to name a few. Category pages are filled with thumbnail images of videos. You can use RealPlayer Downloader to download the complete video from the thumbnail.
- Go to a Vimeo Category page and mouse over a thumbnail and right click on it.
- Click Copy link address.
- Mouse over the top center of the browser window to reveal the blue RealPlayer icon. Click it and then paste the link you just copied into the box that says “Or enter a video link to download” and press Enter on your keyboard. RealPlayer Downloader will search for the video and automatically download it. A thumbnail of the video will appear with a Download This Video button. Click the Download This Video button.
- You’ll see the progress of the Vimeo video download and you will be able to find the complete video in your RealPlayer Library.
Be Mindful When Downloading Videos from Vimeo
We hope you have hours of enjoyment downloading and watching Vimeo videos, but just remember that some of the material on the site may be copyrighted. There are laws in the United States and countries around the globe about distributing copyrighted material. Many of the videos on the site have Creative Commons license applied so be sure to read those to understand what can be done with the videos you download from Vimeo.